The South African SKA Project (SKA SA) is a project of the Department of Science and Technology, administered by the National Research Foundation. SKA SA is responsible for South Africa’s bid to host the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, the design and construction of the Karoo Array Radio Telescope (MeerKAT) and the development of high-level capacity in radio astronomy and the engineering disciplines relevant to radio astronomy. SKA invites applications for 2016 Undergraduate, Honours & Postgraduate Bursary opportunities.
Undergraduate Bursary Programme 2016
The following students are eligible for an SKA SA undergraduate or honours bursary
1. South African citizens and permanent residents ONLY
2. Students who wish to study, or are studying, towards any one of the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, with a strong focus on electronic engineering
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Mechatronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science with co-majors in Mathematics / Applied Mathematics AND Physics (with / without Astrophysics / Astronomy courses)
- Bachelor of Computer Science, with co-major in Mathematics / Applied Mathematics
3. Students who have achieved a minimum C in Mathematics AND Physical Science in Grade 12, or a minimum 60% for major subjects at undergraduate level.
4. Students who intend to pursue postgraduate research in radio astronomy, or in an engineering discipline relevant to radio astronomy.
Closing date for undergraduate and honours applications: 25 September 2015
Postgraduate Bursary Programme 2016
Call for applications from students for PhD and MSc / MEng Bursaries for 2016
The South African SKA Project will consider applications from academically excellent students which have completed / are completing an undergraduate or Masters degree, which is relevant to the scientific and technical goals of the SKA and MeerKAT radio telescopes, and who are:
- South African citizens, and permanent residents of South Africa; or
- Citizens of Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia, who wish to complete a relevant PhD or MSc / MEng degree at a South African university; or
- South African citizens and citizens of Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia, who wish to compete a relevant PhD or MSc / MEng degree at a university in an SKA SA partner country.
Closing date for postgraduat applications: 31 August 2015
How to apply
For enquiries contact Annah Mashemola at firstname.lastname@example.org