The Department of Defence is proud to offer this opportunity to the South African youth with the main purposes of promoting and enhancing the concept of Nation building. We are also serving National interest by encouraging our youth to develop a common South African Identity through exposure to military norms and customs. The emphasis will mainly be on discipline development, empowerment and global competitiveness.
The SA Military Health Services is offering young South African citizens an excellent opportunity to serve in uniform over a 2 year period. These training and development opportunities will be constituted by means of a voluntary 2017 Military Skills Development System (MSDS) period of two years in order to equip young South Africans with market related skills.
Subsequent to the reporting of successful Applicants for military training, recruits can then be considered for the under mentioned developmental opportunities and tertiary training and will be selected for the said opportunities during the two year Military Skills Development System (MSDS) training. PLEASE NOTE that training in any of these fields cannot be guaranteed and will be subject to availability and further selection criteria:
- MBCHB – The degree qualifies successful students to be medical doctors. .Subsequent to successful completion of the degree, Medical Doctors are employed mainly in Military Hospitals, Sickbays and Clinics that may include facilities in rural areas, Applicants must also note that the SAMHS deploy medical doctors for support to military operational deployments including peacekeeping in Africa. Applicants will need a Grade 12 certificate or learners still busy with Grade 12 with university exemption, English Level 6, Mathematics Level 6, Physical Science Level 6 and Life Science Level 6 as compulsory subjects, and a minimum APS of 38.
- 4 YEAR NURSING DIPLOMA – Nursing is a healthcare profession focused on the care of individuals, families and communities so they may attain, maintain or recover optimal health and quality of life from conception to death. Applicants will need a Grade 12 certificate or learners still busy with Grade 12 with university exemption, English Level 4, Mathematics Level 4, and Life Science Level 4 as compulsory subjects, and a minimum APS of 24
- EMERGENCY CARE TECHNICIAN PROGRAMME (ECT) – The SA Military Health Services is offering a national project, Emergency Care Technician (ECT) Programme in co-ordination with the SA National Department of Health and Provincial Health Departments. After selection during candidates’ initial two year voluntary MSDS, successful candidates will commence with the 2 year ECT training programme. A limited number of candidates could be offered the opportunity to continue with their third year at a University (National Diploma and B Tech Degree). Applicants will need a Grade 12 certificate with Mathematics level 4, Life Science level 4, Physical Science level 4 and a minimum APS of 28..
All applicants must comply with the following
- Applicants must comply with health assessment requirements for appointment in the SANDF.
- Applicants must be accepted by a Military Selection Board and ascribe to the Military Code of Conduct.
- Applicants must be younger than 23 years of age and Graduates up to the age of 25.
- Applicants must be SA Citizens (compulsory).
- Applicants must have no record of criminal offence or any pending case.
- Applicants must be willing to undergo Basic Military Training for a period of 6 months, further Functional Training and serve in uniform within the RSA and abroad.
- Applicants must be willing not to be area bounded.
How to apply
Closing date is 29 February 2017. Click here to download the 2018 SA Military Health Services application form.
THIS APPLICATION FORM MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE FOLLOWING CERTIFIED DOCUMENTS:
- Copy of ID
- Copy of Gr 12 Certificate
- A Short CV
- Copy of highest achieved qualification (eg Degree or National diploma)
If you are interested in the Military Skills Development System in the SA Military Health Services, please complete the application form with the requested documentation and post it to: SAMHS Recruitment Office, Department of Defence, SA Military Health Services, Private Bag X102, Centurion, 0046.
Administrative enquiries can be directed to the SAMHS Recruitment Office at (012) 671 5171/5828.
APPLICANTS WILL BE SUBJECTED TO PSYCHOMETRIC TESTING, MEDICAL EVALUATION, VETTING ON CRIMINAL RECORD AND VERIFICATION OF QUALIFICATIONS DURING THE SELECTION PROCESS.